Thursday, February 06, 2020

Hello!
So It has become necessary for me to clear up some misconceptions, and once and for all make the following a matter of record.
Who were my Sensei's?
Now firstly most people who knjow me or of me know that I was a student of Maestro Peter G. Urban. That is a given.

I started my life long journey in the martial arts under my Father Victor J. Malanoski, Kaiden in the ShoBuDo Ryu JuJitsu style. A classical Japanese system that I stayed with my entire life.

Over the years, as a youth, I was exposed to many of the great teachers in NY and NJ, and had the opportunity to train with many of them. Some at length and some sporadically. But I would not call them my Sensei in the true context of the word.

When I was 15 years old, my parents had divorced and my Mother relocated to Jersey City NJ, where incidentally I was born. It was then, at a time when I was very active on the Ny NJ tournament scene, that I joined the dojo of GMstr. Ron Jeter. and I joined his team. So, yes, he was my Sensei. He coached me as a competitor, and for quite a few years I excelled under his guidance.

I joined the US Marine Corps in 1979, and after founding my own school at 2nd Force Reconnaissance HQ building at French Creek, Camp LeJeune North Carolina, I was later stationed in Okinawa Japan for three years. Also traveling to Mainland Japan, Korea, The Philippines, Hong Kong Singapore and Thailand.
While on Okinawa, and throughout Asia, I trained with quite a few prominent masters. But my actual Senseis, who I spent much time with, developed serious relations with, and learned so much from, were GMstr. Hanso Arakaki of Naha Te Kempo, and Arakaki KoBuDo, and Masaaki Ikemiyagi of Meibukan GoJu Ryu.

After being discharged from the Marine Corps, and founding various DoJo in NY and NJ during the 80s, I relocated to Florida in 1992. I originally went there to open a school with my Father who had been living there, however he passed away while I was travelling to be with him.

Once in Florida I opened a DoJo, and after a while brought my students to a tournament in Miami where I ran into my old friends and seniors GMstr. Frank Ruiz, and GMstr Manny Saavedra. I joined up with the Martial Arts Congress which was founded by them, and as a fifth dan, later joined The World Sansei GoJu KaraTe Organization under Hanshi Saavedra, where Saavedra mentored me, promoted my career in Florida, and as I went up in rank, made me a member of the Board Of Directors of his organization. I traveled internationally with him as a coach and member of Team Sansei, as well as having had the opportunity to teach KaraTe and KoBuDo at Florida International University with him. So, Yes, I can definitely say that Manny Saavedra was my Sensei.

I also befriended and began studying with KyoShi Joe " Hanokami" Bass, in IaiDo. I attained my IaiDo yudansha grading under him, and yes, he was my Sensei.

Years later when Maestro Urban requested that I help him with kata standardization in the southern states, Sensei Saavedra graciously allowed me to demit my membership in Sansei in order to continue with Maestro Urban and become his representative in Florida and the Southern States.

Over the years Maestro Urban gave me his blessing and encouragement as the Supreme Instructor of my own system.

So ladies and gentlemen, there you have it.

Once again, over the past 53 years, I have trained with many people. But unless you see them named in what you have just read. Although they may have been great, they were not MY SENSEI.